- 4 bell peppers
- 1 lb ground beef -or- ground turkey -or- ground chicken
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 - to 3 Tablespoons Mardi Gras Dip Mix (dry)*
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, fresh minced or 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can Rotel® tomatoes with green chilies (mild or regular)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican Cheese
Preheat over to 350°. Wash and dry the peppers, slice them in half length-wise. Remove the stems and the seeds. Place them (hollow side up), on a greased baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes. Discard any excess water that collects in the middle of the pepper. Meanwhile, brown the ground meat in a large pan over medium-high heat. Drain any grease. Add the diced onions and cook for 5 minutes. Add the desired amount of Mardi Gras Dip Mix, tomato sauce, and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the beans and Rotel® style diced tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes. Scoop the meat and bean filling inside each of the baked peppers. Top each with cheese. Bake at 350° for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
*Mardi Gras Dip Mix
1 Tablespoon= Mild
2 Tablespoons= Medium
3 Tablespoons= Medium to Hot
Any leftover filling makes great nachos!