- 1 packet Garden Medley Dip Mix, unprepared
- 3- to 5- lbs. stew meat (venison works well)
- 1/2 tsp. each of salt & pepper
- 4 Tbls. cornstarch, tapioca or all-purpose flour
- 3 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 medium-sized onions, peeled and cut into chunks
- canned vegetables, optional, any type
- 1 can (29 oz.) tomato sauce
- 2 Tbls. sugar
- 1/2 cup burgundy or cooking wine, optional
Place meat in bottom of large oven-proof pot. Sprinkle meat with salt & pepper (and wine, if desired). Sprinkle meat with the cornstarch (or tapioca/flour). Add potatoes, carrots, onions and whatever other vegetables you would like. (Canned whole green beans, canned sweet peas and whole mushrooms are a delicious addition.) Sprinkle Garden Medley Dip Mix over vegetables. Pour can of tomato sauce over all and sprinkle with sugar. Cover and bake at 200° to 250° for 5 hours.
The wine helps tenderize inexpensive cuts of meat and also adds flavor. Any alcohol cooks out.