- Mixed Bean Soup Mix and seasoning packet
- 3 quarts water (3 qts. = 12 cups)
- 2 cans (14-1/2 oz. each) tomatoes, chopped
- 1 pound of meat from list below:*
- • ham - chopped • ham hocks - approx. 2 pieces • ham bone • bacon, uncooked - chopped • Kielbasa/Polish sausage - chopped • smoked sausage - chopped • chicken -may add pieces with skin and bones intact, just be sure to remove chicken after a period of cooking time and remove skin and bones; return meat to soup.
* This soup may be made without the addition of any meat.
** You may add 2 to 3 cups of sliced, raw carrots and/or potatoes.
*** The addition of salt is optional, according to taste after cooking.
Sort out any foreign substances (i.e., small pebbles, bad beans) from beans and rinse beans thoroughly with clean water before using to assure maximum natural wholesomeness. Place rinsed beans in a large pot; add 3 quarts fresh water and bring to a boil. Cook beans on medium heat for approximately 30 minutes or until beans are tender. Transfer beans and any remaining water (do not drain water from beans) into a 6-quart size slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients. Stir to mix, place lid on slow cooker and cook on low for 12 hours, or cook on high for 6 hours. At end of cooking time, remove lid from slow cooker and cook on high for approximately 30 minutes to thicken soup. If using a meat choice that has bones, transfer all meat to a plate and remove/discard skin, bones, fat, etc.; cut meat into bite-size pieces and return meat to soup.